Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My blog, 1 month on...


Exactly 1 month ago …umm plus 2 days actually (sorry)… I wrote my first entry on this halo brace blog.

Someone on the survivors’ page said “you grow up fast in a halo” and that’s sure true.
I’ve gone from traction in hospital (see the pic for my hospital view -widescreen it wasn't) to ridiculous optimism in my early days out, [click 4 link] to the black depths.

Hopefully I’m more grounded now. Thanks to everyone who led me back.

Friends
I’ve made some great new friends but sure tested some of my oldest and bestest friendships.
I’ve already talked to most of you but if I haven’t I’ll just say that frustrated and angry people in pain [OK – me!] often do and say terrible things = “Misery loves company”.

Luck
I’m lucky to have you all and I’m especially lucky to be walking (but see my top 10 most-overworked phrases).
Lady Luck’s tricky tho : if the impact had been 0.5mm different I could be typing this with a mouth-stick. On the other hand, if my particular Trailer of Doom had been 0.5m further over then none of this might have happened.

Permanent?
I’ve tried to tell everyone personally but I’ll say here as well: I been diagnosed with Brown-Sequard paralysis: I continue to have neuro “deficits” affecting my right arm and leg and it’s possible I’ll have some sort of permanent impairment. If there’s anything definite you’ll read it here first.
Two months to go and I’m told I’m over the worst of the Halo
Watch this space –it’s going to be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment