Tuesday, March 23, 2010

At the sharp end…



A lot of people want to know about my Halo pins (sounds less Frankenstein than bolts). Yes I have 4 pins in = 2 on the forehead & two behind my ears [see pix, the head's mine but not da pin. Tx to John on Hate Halo's for the loan of th pic]

Yes I was awake (but pretty zonked) to have them put in. I already had a colar on so they kept that on me. Doc injected local anesthetic first then its like going to the dentist – its not exactly pain but you feel tugging and pressure like ya heads in a vice.

There's no drill: just a torque wrench -apparently it pushes the pins 2mm into the skull bone and then makes a horrible popping noise that you feel as much as hear when it's the right loading. Then they finish bolting the pins to the pin holders and the holders to the ring and youre away laughing –not.

After the first 3 or 4 days the pin sites were more uncomfortable than painful.

PIN CARE

If youre sqemish stop reading NOW >>> apparently the skin wants to grow up the pins so if I want to get them out wth less pain and scarring in June or whenever I have to push the skin away from the pins with an alcohol cotton bud. My caregiver does it for me at the moment but I'm learning to do it myself without puking.

Yes Ill always have scars - they cant say how much yet. Least of my worries!

No comments:

Post a Comment