Thursday, June 24, 2010

Good news!

I'm getting my op! And it's the superdeluxe option Ive been hoping for.

Burwood Hospital have accepted the referral. Took a while 'cause they have to allow for the start of the ski/snoboard season (!) but they're 90% sure they have room.

I'll be spending my uni hols in the spinal unit (yes I know it's not exactly Club Med but hey…).

Timing is perfect – I can work thru to the end of term. Mum & I fly down to Christchurch 4 July. That will be a bit of an ordeal but they think a commercial flight will be OK. Get settled & re-assessed on Monday.

Assuming no miracle cure I should have an op on 6 July. This is hopefully just screw(s) thru my C2 & a bone graft taken from my hip, and then I get 2 weeks rehab etc. at Burwood.

They have a flat booked 4 Mum so she can stay all thru.

It's scary so it's really good that spine experts are doing it. Risks of going wrong are low but if it really did I would lose arms, legs and breathing. I could have a good life and earn a living etc. like that –lots do – but let's not go there...

2 comments:

  1. Hope it all goes well for you. The op you are having is very similar to the one I had. I didn’t have rehab after the op, my surgeon didn’t think that it was necessary. My recovery went better than I was told to expect and I was rock climbing 2 months after the op.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aden: My thoughts are with you. I wish things were different for you but life is crazy sometimes and we just have to take what comes our way. There is a reason for all of this, look for it and learn from it. Be strong and think positive thoughts and you will heal faster and be stronger for it. I'm thinking of you and sending you good energy all the way from Ontario, Canada...........take care. Tracy

    ReplyDelete